Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB RAM.
> 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem

You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:

THE NIC

> only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
> manageable L2 switch

Does it support jumbo frames?  Post model# please.

> standard windows share/samba  i think it uses TCP (not sure)

Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP.  Samba
doesn't speak TCP.  CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack.  They you
can't "tune" Samba's network performance.  You can only tune Linux' TCP
performance, and Samba will benefit.

You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.  Please
always post all technical details related to an issue.  Thus far you
have not.  As a rule, it's better to post too much information that not
enough.

Thanks.

--
Stan