Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Bartek Krawczyk
<bbartlomiej.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
>> i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
>> copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
>> files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
>> 200 to 300 Mbps.
>
> scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
> decreases the throughput.
> Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
> case of samba.
>
> net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
> net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
>
>> strange........... just 600mbps out of that strong system.
>
> You seem to miss the fact that in bandwidth tests the other end of the
> connection is also important and in my case it was:
>>> 2 - Atom D525, 2GB ram, CF card, realtek 1Gb ethernet card

agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB RAM.
500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem

>>> with iperf i get about 600mbps (in UDP mode or with custom TCP window size).
>
> You need to do some research about high-speed networks and see that
> there are many things that need taking care of.
> 1. What is the hardware which connects with the one you mentioned?
2 GB core 2 duo  2 (point some thing) Ghz,  300 GB HD
> 2. What are the specs of the network between them? Are there any
> switches, APs, routers?
only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
manageable L2 switch
> 3. Do you use TCP or UDP?
standard windows share/samba  i think it uses TCP (not sure)