Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

Le Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:00:10 -0500,
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> a écrit :

> On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
> > agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB
> > RAM. 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem
>
> You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:
>
> THE NIC
>
> > only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
> > manageable L2 switch
>
> Does it support jumbo frames?  Post model# please.
>
> > standard windows share/samba  i think it uses TCP (not sure)
>
> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP.  Samba
> doesn't speak TCP.  CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack.  They
> you can't "tune" Samba's network performance.  You can only tune
> Linux' TCP performance, and Samba will benefit.
>
> You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.
> Please always post all technical details related to an issue.  Thus
> far you have not.  As a rule, it's better to post too much
> information that not enough.
>
> Thanks.

Is the problem really the network? If you tested your thoughput c200 to
300 Mbpsopying a file, then I guess the bottleneck is your hard drive.
Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.

Bruno