Re: free software mini pc

> The question is, how can I be reasonably sure before the purchase?  In many
> cases the information is unavailable or difficult to find.

Agreed, it's a serious problem.  E.g. for fit-pc2 I actually forgot to
mention that the video driver is not well supported by stock kernel and
Xorg since it's the infamous "gma500".  It's actually reasonably well
supported by the KMS code now (since Linux-3.0, more or less) but there's
still basically no hardware acceleration support.

Of course, the manufacturer distributes the GNU/Linux version of the
product with a proprietary driver which is hell to get working on
anything else than that specific Xorg+kernel combination.
Fortunately, all I care about is mode-setting and the fbdev Xorg driver
is good enough for my needs, but for many people it could be a major
obstacle (e.g. can't use it as media-PC to watch TV).

        Stefan