Re: free software mini pc

Alex Hutton wrote at 2012-02-11 22:56 -0600:
> I share your sympathies. I really hate fan noise! There are ARM
> computers that run at 5 watts, and can be passively cooled.... but can
> they be used as a 'desktop'?

That is an interesting question for me; I know that the requirements I have
set are modest, but it will be a small step down from the specifications of
the desktop system currently in use.  But it certainly will not be used
heavily, and swapping on SATA SSD Flash will probably perform a bit better
than 7200 RPM drives in use now.

> So my next plan is to build a 'beowulf cluster' out of ARM computers

Wow, that sounds like a fun project.

> The Trim Slice kernel has been updated since then so some time I am going
> to upgrade and see how it can perform.

So the Trim-Slice is not supported by mainline kernels?

> If you have specific questions about the Trim Slice I'll try to help.

Thanks.