Re: free software mini pc

On 15 February 2012 02:34, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am *not* looking for disposable hardware.  I am *not* interested in
> purchasing a maintenance burden.  I need *rock-solid* *long-term* Linux
> reliability on *rock-solid* hardware.  Will Compulabs continue to provide
> updated custom kernels a year or more from now?  I doubt it, considering that
> the custom kernel they provide for their product now does not work (strictly
> speaking).

Fair points. I guess you would need to go with an Atom or other x86
system which would have a more mature architecture, rather than ARM.
For my personal needs I'm thinking of desktop usage, so I'm not
thinking of a mission-critical application, and ultra-reliability is
not a necessity, though it is desiable :). A custom kernel that
doesn't work is obviously going to be a problem, but if it works well
enough then it would be fine for me. But I guess it does make a
difference to something that might be mission-critical because the
changes to the kernel are not likely to be widely tested or reviewed
so it's a definite risk, even if it's a small one, that there are
undetected bugs or security flaws present. However that's just an
uninformed view on my part, I don't really know anything about linux
kernel development and how robust the system is against bugs that
might be introduced with the sort of customisation that Compulab are
doing.