Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM, francis picabia <fpicabia@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't find docs which say you can do a major version upgrade without booting
> installation media in SUSE.
>
> I do see this:
>
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/opensuse114/book_opensuse_reference/?page=/documentation/opensuse114/book_opensuse_reference/data/book_opensuse_reference.html
>
> Quote:
>
>> 15.1.3 Upgrading with YaST
>>
>> Following the preparation procedure outlined in Section 15.1.1, Preparations, you can now > upgrade your system:
>>
>>     Boot the system as for the installation, described in Section 1.4, System Start-Up for
>> Installation. In YaST, choose a language and select Update in the Installation Mode
>> dialog. Do not select New Installation. Also add repositories to make sure to get all
>> available software updated whenever possible. Find more information about installation
>> repositories in Section 1.7.1, Add-On Products.
>
> That is pretty clear to me openSUSE is upgraded the same way you install,
> booting from install media, taking the working OS down for some
> significant time.

Right after that, it does discuss upgrade via zypper, but it mentions only
minor version upgrades in the discussion.  Well, at least those would
be minor version upgrades in Debian. Maybe in SUSE it is a major change.
If so, then holy cow - what a bunch of work to maintain!