Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:04:02 -0300, francis picabia wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The problem with most "reviews" is they base it on a fresh install and
>>> Desktop set up.
>>>
>>> Living with a distro is often far different than a fresh install.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Sure, but when you are a beginner that sort of things are not the most
>> important ones. You start thinking more deeply in what a distribution
>> can provide once you have a little more background with linux, which
>> can be one year or two later...
>
> Respectfully, I must disagree.  This is like buying a car based on how
> comfortable the interior is, regardless of the prior performance of this
> make and brand for longevity and cost of ownership.  The big picture
> will matter, even to a novice, and possibly moreso as they will be stuck
> trying to figure out how to migrate to the next version of whatever
> whereas in Debian it is upgraded in situ (for a major version release
> upgrade) and documented.

Maybe you think that because you see openSUSE as a "transient" step to
finally reach Debian but it is not: openSUSE is powerful enough to fit
any requirements, from the most basic to the most advanced usage so it
can be used as a start point to get the user introduced into the Linux
world as well as a final point, to use it on clusters and HPC systems.

(needless to say you can also perform "in-situ" upgrades in openSUSE) ;-)

I dropped openSUSE in favor of Debian just because they (openSUSE)
reduced the security patches support period from 24 to 18 months. This
wouldn't have been a problem if I were a home user that only has one
computer to attend, but as an admin I need to manage servers and
workstations and having to update every 18 months all the machines is not
something I can support.

> However, if it isn't for production purposes, as I said, then anything
> will do.  Get your feet wet. Get a soaker. Running various distros is
> the best way to understand what people are talking about when they say
> things about the package selection and management in Debian.  It's like
> travel, it broadens the mind. Then you go back to the favorite place and
> live there.

Testing other distributions can be a true headache for first time linux
users... I -having using linux boxes since 2003- had to accustomed to the
Debian-way system and still costs me a bit to get used to it (and I'm
using Debian since 2009!).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón