Re: Getting sound working

On 29/10/11 01:01, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> If you still have KDE installed...
>> use the Kmixer - it should be under the Multimedia section of Klauncher
>> (your menu) - or you can start it using:-
>> $ kmix
>>
>> It'll appear in the systray - right-click on it, Show Mixer Window =>
>> Mixer => Settings => Configure Kmix - tick Dock in SystemTray (to make
>> show in systemtray the default setting).
>
> None of that happens here.. Apparently, as seems sort of usual for
> this install, there is some problem.
>
> `kmix' from the command line appears to do nothing whatever.

Possibly related to the aptitude broken packages??
Normally I'd expect *something* - even a "command not found"...

eg.:-
$ kmix
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kmix(14569): _refcount already 0

> Nothing
> appears in system area on bottom right of bottom panel.

<snipped>

If:-
$ apt-get -s install kmix | grep kmix
gives you:-
gives you:-
kmix is already the newest version.
kmix set to manually installed.

Then try:-
(and look for error message, and appearance of icon)
$ kmix --keepvisibility

If kmix is not installed - how much is involved?:-
$ apt-get -s install kmix | grep -cE [CI]

> Using the menus like: click the big K, then slide right one item in
> the bottom horizontal list of main headings to
> `applications'/then up to `Multimedia'/ scroll down to `soundmixer' (kmix)
>
> Pressing that gives me a tiny bouncing happy face (or maybe it is
> supposed to be a speaker) with sound waves emanating from it.  It
> bounces for something like 20/30 seconds, then disappears.

<snipped>

> Again,
> nothing appears in system area, including in the `hidden icon'
> section.

:-)

> However, I am able to make all the adjustments with alsamixer,
> including adjusting right/lift volume, once someone posted the key
> combos. (That I should have found myself)

The unmute, (M), alsamixer "should" have been enough to enable sound for
you.

Most multimedia apps (eg. VLC, Kaffeine, Dragon Player) have their own
volume control - but their levels are limited by Kmix/Alsamixer.

Cheers