Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:40:00 -0300, francis picabia wrote:

{ ... }

>> The problem with most "reviews" is they base it on a fresh install and
>> Desktop set up.
>>
>> Living with a distro is often far different than a fresh install.
>
> (...)
>
> Sure, but when you are a beginner that sort of things are not the most
> important ones. You start thinking more deeply in what a distribution can
> provide once you have a little more background with linux, which can be
> one year or two later...

Respectfully, I must disagree.  This is like buying a car based on
how comfortable the interior is, regardless of the prior
performance of this make and brand for longevity and
cost of ownership.  The big picture will matter, even
to a novice, and possibly moreso as they will be stuck
trying to figure out how to migrate to the next version of
whatever whereas in Debian it is upgraded in situ (for a major
version release upgrade) and documented.

However, if it isn't for production purposes, as I said,
then anything will do.  Get your feet wet. Get a soaker.
Running various distros is the best way to understand
what people are talking about when they say
things about the package selection and management
in Debian.  It's like travel, it broadens the mind.
Then you go back to the favorite place and live there.