Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:45:57 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:16:00 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:46:17 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Are you sure? :-)
> >>
> >> I'm only aware of two ways for setting up ethernet network interfaces
> >> (today) in Linux systems: one if using the old method (ifup/ifconfig)
> >> and other is using networkmanager. And both are not Debian-centric,
> >> I've also used them in openSUSE, for instance.
> >
> > I think you may be confusing 'ifconfig / iwconfig' and ifupdown. The
> > former are *nix standard tools; the latter is a Debian-specific package
> > that contains the utilities ifup / ifdown, which work with the file
> > /etc/network/interfaces to manipulate network interfaces. IIUC, this is
> > a higher level interface which calls ifconfig / iwconfig /
> > wpa_supplicant / dhclient and other lower level utilities to do the
> > actual work.
>
> I have not mentioned "ifupdown" but "ifup" :-)

Ifup is a command from the ifupdown package.

> And I've been calling "ifup" to the old method for setting up the
> networking interfaces that I have been using years ago. "Ifup" was the
> name I used in openSUSE for ifconfig tools (not just a binary file), so
> the naming confusion problem can come from here.

I know nothing about openSUSE. This is a Debian list, and 'ifup' in
this context refers to a Debian specific script from the ifupdown
package.

And your comments are not coherent, anyway. You expressed an expectation
that the kernel people document using 'ifup' with 'iw'. But 'iw'
itself is documented quite nicely - and the only thing not documented is
how to use it with 'ifupdown', which, as I've explained, is not their
responsibility.

> >> Anyway, whatever method is proposed by iw devels should be docummented
> >> so users and distributions can adapt it to their needs, don't you
> >> think?
> >
> > iw is documented quite nicely:
> >
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw
>
> Yes, I know... I mentioned that page in the very first of my posts to
> this thread ;-)

Okay - so what are you complaining is not documented?

Celejar