Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:31:17 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > I want to be able to write the iw equivalient of:-
>> >
>> > iface wlan0 inet static
>> >
>> > 	wireless-essid Test
>> > 	wireless-channel 7
>> >
>> > Given that iwconfig is now deprecated
>>
>> Okay, I will have to ask... who has told you that? "wireless-tools"
>> package is still available in Debian and he upstream project is just on
>> the way to replace it but they are still needed in some cases.

> If you ask anything about iwconfig on the wireless kernel mailing list
> you will get told that iwconfig is deprecated, does not provide all the
> function and at times give the wrong answers and that iw should be used
> on all mac80211 based wireless drivers.  They wrote it, so they should
> know.

Then why not ask them for a recommended replacement? If that's "iw" then
ask for the documents on how to properly setup when using "ifup" method ;-)

AFAIK, in Debian package "wireless-tools" is still supported/available.

>> > (at least for new wifi interfaces) at a minimum it would be a good
>> > idea if wireless-XXX used iw.  I will submit a bug to this effect.
>>
>> That's the recommended/docummented way to manually setup the wifi
>> adapter in Debian:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basics_of_wireless_lan_interface

> Unfortunately that does not cover configuring mesh networks, which is
> one of the areas that can not be done with iwconfig and has to be done
> using iw.

Can you please put an "exact" example for such configuration?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón