Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:19:58 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:45:57 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

(...)

>> > I think you may be confusing 'ifconfig / iwconfig' and ifupdown. The
>> > former are *nix standard tools; the latter is a Debian-specific
>> > package that contains the utilities ifup / ifdown, which work with
>> > the file /etc/network/interfaces to manipulate network interfaces.
>> > IIUC, this is a higher level interface which calls ifconfig /
>> > iwconfig / wpa_supplicant / dhclient and other lower level utilities
>> > to do the actual work.
>>
>> I have not mentioned "ifupdown" but "ifup" :-)
>
> Ifup is a command from the ifupdown package.

Yes. And it's also the name of the way for setting up the network
parameters in openSUSE. Sorry if that has confused you.

>> And I've been calling "ifup" to the old method for setting up the
>> networking interfaces that I have been using years ago. "Ifup" was the
>> name I used in openSUSE for ifconfig tools (not just a binary file), so
>> the naming confusion problem can come from here.
>
> I know nothing about openSUSE. This is a Debian list, and 'ifup' in this
> context refers to a Debian specific script from the ifupdown package.

It's okay, I thought "ifup" was a common way for designating the old
method for configuring the networking stuff in contrast to the new
Network Manager option. Maybe that was an openSUSE specific denomination,
I beg your perdon for having an openSUSE past ;-)

> And your comments are not coherent, anyway. You expressed an expectation
> that the kernel people document using 'ifup' with 'iw'. But 'iw' itself
> is documented quite nicely - and the only thing not documented is how to
> use it with 'ifupdown', which, as I've explained, is not their
> responsibility.

No, that's not what I said. Please, re-read the whole thread and
specially message ID "<[🔎] pan.2011.10.26.14.20.21@gmail.com>".

>> > iw is documented quite nicely:
>> >
>> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw
>>
>> Yes, I know... I mentioned that page in the very first of my posts to
>> this thread ;-)
>
> Okay - so what are you complaining is not documented?

Me? No sir... you must have misread the thread.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón