Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:46:17 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:34:48 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:20:23 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Then why not ask them for a recommended replacement? If that's "iw"
> >> then ask for the documents on how to properly setup when using "ifup"
> >> method ;-)
> >
> > AFAIK, ifupdown is a Debian specific package - kernel devs are hardly
> > responsible for documenting it.
>
> Are you sure? :-)
>
> I'm only aware of two ways for setting up ethernet network interfaces
> (today) in Linux systems: one if using the old method (ifup/ifconfig) and
> other is using networkmanager. And both are not Debian-centric, I've also
> used them in openSUSE, for instance.

I think you may be confusing 'ifconfig / iwconfig' and ifupdown. The
former are *nix standard tools; the latter is a Debian-specific package
that contains the utilities ifup / ifdown, which work with the
file /etc/network/interfaces to manipulate network interfaces. IIUC,
this is a higher level interface which calls ifconfig / iwconfig /
wpa_supplicant / dhclient and other lower level utilities to do the
actual work.

> Anyway, whatever method is proposed by iw devels should be docummented so
> users and distributions can adapt it to their needs, don't you think?

iw is documented quite nicely:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw

Celejar