Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:26:23 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > Yes, I know I can do it manually, I was looking for the same kind of
>> > alias that wireless-tools provided.
>>
>> If they're not docummented and because this is an ongoing work, I'd say
>> there is none (or at least "none" that I am aware of) ;-(. Are you
>> missing a specific command?
>>
>> Anyway, it seems that the usual set of tools¹ (the ones you mention)
>> are still available.
>>
>> ¹http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Wireless-Extensions
>>
> You are misunderstanding what I am asking for.

Hum? I thought you were looking for iwconfig/iwlist/iw* commands
replacement.

> I want to be able to write the iw equivalient of:-
>
> iface wlan0 inet static
> 	wireless-essid Test
> 	wireless-channel 7
>
> Given that iwconfig is now deprecated

Okay, I will have to ask... who has told you that? "wireless-tools" package is
still available in Debian and he upstream project is just on the way to replace
it but they are still needed in some cases.

> (at least for new wifi interfaces) at a minimum it would be a good idea
> if wireless-XXX used iw.  I will submit a bug to this effect.

That's the recommended/docummented way to manually setup the wifi
adapter in Debian:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basics_of_wireless_lan_interface

So, what's what are you exactly missing now?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón