Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:16:00 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:46:17 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:34:48 -0400, Celejar wrote:

>> > AFAIK, ifupdown is a Debian specific package - kernel devs are hardly
>> > responsible for documenting it.
>>
>> Are you sure? :-)
>>
>> I'm only aware of two ways for setting up ethernet network interfaces
>> (today) in Linux systems: one if using the old method (ifup/ifconfig)
>> and other is using networkmanager. And both are not Debian-centric,
>> I've also used them in openSUSE, for instance.
>
> I think you may be confusing 'ifconfig / iwconfig' and ifupdown. The
> former are *nix standard tools; the latter is a Debian-specific package
> that contains the utilities ifup / ifdown, which work with the file
> /etc/network/interfaces to manipulate network interfaces. IIUC, this is
> a higher level interface which calls ifconfig / iwconfig /
> wpa_supplicant / dhclient and other lower level utilities to do the
> actual work.

I have not mentioned "ifupdown" but "ifup" :-)

And I've been calling "ifup" to the old method for setting up the
networking interfaces that I have been using years ago. "Ifup" was the
name I used in openSUSE for ifconfig tools (not just a binary file), so
the naming confusion problem can come from here.

>> Anyway, whatever method is proposed by iw devels should be docummented
>> so users and distributions can adapt it to their needs, don't you
>> think?
>
> iw is documented quite nicely:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw

Yes, I know... I mentioned that page in the very first of my posts to
this thread ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón