Re: Is there an equivalent of wireless-xxxx using iw rather then iwconfig

On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:26:23 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> (...)

> >> If they're not docummented and because this is an ongoing work, I'd say
> >> there is none (or at least "none" that I am aware of) ;-(. Are you
> >> missing a specific command?
> >>
> >> Anyway, it seems that the usual set of tools¹ (the ones you mention)
> >> are still available.
> >>
> >> ¹http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/Wireless-Extension
> >
> > You are misunderstanding what I am asking for.
>
> Hum? I thought you were looking for iwconfig/iwlist/iw* commands
> replacement.
>
> > I want to be able to write the iw equivalient of:-
> >
> > iface wlan0 inet static
> >
> > 	wireless-essid Test
> > 	wireless-channel 7
> >
> > Given that iwconfig is now deprecated
>
> Okay, I will have to ask... who has told you that? "wireless-tools" package
> is still available in Debian and he upstream project is just on the way to
> replace it but they are still needed in some cases.
If you ask anything about iwconfig on the wireless kernel mailing list you
will get told that iwconfig is deprecated, does not provide all the function
and at times give the wrong answers and that iw should be used on all
mac80211 based wireless drivers.  They wrote it, so they should know.

> > (at least for new wifi interfaces) at a minimum it would be a good idea
> > if wireless-XXX used iw.  I will submit a bug to this effect.
>
> That's the recommended/docummented way to manually setup the wifi
> adapter in Debian:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basics
> _of_wireless_lan_interface
Unfortunately that does not cover configuring mesh networks, which is
one of the areas that can not be done with iwconfig and has to be done
using iw.

David