Re: Is there any issue with reportbug in unstabl or bugs.debian.org?

Disc Magnet wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I have never ever seen reportbug crash.  Since it is just a python
> > script I would think that an actual crash would be quite difficult.
> >
> > I am hoping you filed a bug report on reportbug crashing! :-)
>
> reportbug hangs at the drop of a hat on my system. and then I have to
> figure how to file a bug about reportbug. It usually hangs whenever I
> launch reportbug and click on some other window (thus report bug
> becoming the inactive window). When I click on reportbug again, it is
> found to be in hung state. It doesn't respond at all.

That is really odd.  I believe you.  But how would there be any
interaction with the state of window focus or have any interaction
with the mouse at all?  That sounds like a window manager bug.

What terminal program are you using?  gnome-terminal?  konsole?  I am
using xterm and I have never seen xterm hang in this situation.  You
may have hit a terminal bug of some sort.  Try launching it from an
xterm and seeing if the problem can be recreated there.  If not then
that would point to the other terminal program.

Some thoughts come to mind.

1. Reportbug spawns $EDITOR / $VISUAL to enter data.  If your $EDITOR
   hangs then of course reportbug is blocked behind it.  Looking at
   the process parent-child hierarchy should reveal this problem.
     ps -efH | less +/reportbug
   From that it should be possible to know if reportbug has spawned a
   sub-process or not.

   Try a simpler editor.  I am using emacs proving that complex
   editors work fine.  But if you are using some graphical editor then
   I could see a bug there appearing as a reportbug hang but really
   being an editor problem.

     reportbug --editor=nano

2. Reportbug talks to the bugs.debian.org and to packages.debian.org
   over the network.  If those queries delay then this may appear as a
   hang.  If an http proxy has been set then problems with the proxy
   could appear through reportbug.

   Try running reportbug with --offline.  That will prevent querying
   the bts for other bug report and will prevent looking to see if
   there is a newer version of the package available.

     reportbug --offline PACKAGENAME

3. Reportbug sends the bug report bug using /usr/sbin/sendmail as the
   MTA.  If that doesn't work then reportbug (and other commands too)
   will have problems.  I have no workaround to /usr/sbin/sendmail not
   working.  That simply must work for a healthy system.  If that is
   the problem then solve that problem first.

4. You are not using the --ui=gtk2 option are you?  Launched like this?
     reportbug --ui=gtk2
   If so try it without specifying that option.

Bob