Re: Help! Can't log in as self

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> I experimented with every possible thing, and finally, i moved my
> .xsession file out of the way and that did it.  It was a new file,
> but it contained only the line "xset b 0", and I dont know why this
> would cause the entire start to crash.

That explains everything.  If ~/.xsession is present then it is used
to start your session manager and / or other programs.  The
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup holds the code that
does this.

By putting that file into place it takes over the startup, which it is
supposed to do, but since your file did not start up a window manager
it appears as if you could not log in.

At the very end of your ~/.xsession script you would typically start
up a window manager.  Something like one of these lines:

  exec x-session-manager  # <-- Debian generic handler
Or:
  exec gnome-session
Or:
  exec startkde