Re: Is there any issue with reportbug in unstabl or bugs.debian.org?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> Darac Marjal wrote:
>> > While a web-based interface may be nice, I think that where debian's bug
>> > reporting excels is in the 'reportbug' program. It's not just a program
>> > that sends emails to a single address, but it provides a good guide
>> > through the bug-reporting process, namely encouraging you to check that
>> > the bug is not already raised, checking that the version of the package
>> > you're reporting against isn't out of date and also collecting useful
>> > information for the developers (changed configuration, usually).
>>
>> Did you recently fill a bug on a bugzilla-alike bug tracking system?
>>
>> It does not only allows what you mention but it enhances the reporter
>> experience by allowing a higher level of configuration and customization
>> on almost any aspect, not only for the UI (bugs alerts are just great).
>>
>> > Some of that, a web based solution just can't do (as easily).
>>
>> Ha! Of course it can.
>
> (shock, surprise) You are saying that filling out a web form in a
> browser can run processes on the local host machine and send data to
> the internet?  No it can't or it would be a severe security
> vulnerability.  Please list any browser that allows this so that I can
> file the appropriately severe security bugs against them.
>
>> And bugzilla does not tend to crash when writing bug reports >:-)
>>
>> In fact, I usually avoid using "reportbug" because of its high
>> instability (it's annoying having to re-do a full report several
>> times...) and finally send the report "manually" -by e-mail- which is not
>> a task for newcomers neither encourages people to write bug reports ;-(
>
> I have never ever seen reportbug crash.  Since it is just a python
> script I would think that an actual crash would be quite difficult.
>
> I am hoping you filed a bug report on reportbug crashing! :-)
>
> Bob

reportbug hangs at the drop of a hat on my system. and then I have to
figure how to file a bug about reportbug. It usually hangs whenever I
launch reportbug and click on some other window (thus report bug
becoming the inactive window). When I click on reportbug again, it is
found to be in hung state. It doesn't respond at all.