Re: Is there any issue with reportbug in unstabl or bugs.debian.org?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:42:50 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 11:04:07AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I'd like to see a web based interface for reporting bugs in Debian,
>> while I find reporting by e-mail a very nice (must have) option,
>> bugzilla-alike based interfaces are also very easy to deal with (for
>> the reporter) and plenty of nice features.
>
> While a web-based interface may be nice, I think that where debian's bug
> reporting excels is in the 'reportbug' program. It's not just a program
> that sends emails to a single address, but it provides a good guide
> through the bug-reporting process, namely encouraging you to check that
> the bug is not already raised, checking that the version of the package
> you're reporting against isn't out of date and also collecting useful
> information for the developers (changed configuration, usually).

Did you recently fill a bug on a bugzilla-alike bug tracking system?

It does not only allows what you mention but it enhances the reporter
experience by allowing a higher level of configuration and customization
on almost any aspect, not only for the UI (bugs alerts are just great).

> Some of that, a web based solution just can't do (as easily).

Ha! Of course it can. And bugzilla does not tend to crash when writing
bug reports >:-)

In fact, I usually avoid using "reportbug" because of its high
instability (it's annoying having to re-do a full report several
times...) and finally send the report "manually" -by e-mail- which is not
a task for newcomers neither encourages people to write bug reports ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón