Re: OT: Desktop icons - Some blubbering :.(

On 08/10/11 21:25, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:00:01 +1100
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
>> Which Debian release are you running?
>
> Testing, so KDE is at 4.6.somethingorother.

Squeeze systems here - which may account for some differences.

>> Perhaps we're talking of slightly different things - default (don't
>> know what KDE3.5x was, don't have Lenny on hand) is to apply setting
>> per directory - that's changeable so that settings are applicable to
>> all directories. And don't forget to save those changes to the profile.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that, but that has no bearing on what I am
> experiencing.  In KDE3, those setting weren't transferred across view
> modes;  Icon view settings & list (detail as KDE4 calls it) view
> settings, at least for "show hidden files" weren't inherited one from
> the other.

Same here - as in, if I enable view hidden files, it only displays
hidden files in that particular directory (see further down about
applying view changes to all directories), but, regardless (as you've
pointed out) changing view from, eg. details to icon, removes show
hidden files (unless saved to profile *and* view changes settings
applied to all directories). If any of that made sense....

I'll add it to my wish lists. I post them to the developers - sometimes
they listen, some times I just patch it myself. In this case I'm not
sure how hard it is. (kpart is pretty simple and well documented)

>>> I didn't have to keep (de)selecting show hidden files according to
>>> which view mode I was using.
>> Try the view properties under Toolbar => Configure => General.
>
> I must have my stupid head on, because I can't find that anywhere.
> Exactly what step are you taking here?

Apply changes to view to all directories, not just the current
directories. Default is to apply changes to current directory only.

Sorry - I was going from memory - should be:-
Konqueror toolbar => Settings => Configure Konqueror... => (in the
left-hand pane under File Management) General => (in the right-hand
pane) select "Use Common View properties for all folders".

>> Kpart is the shared component you're referring to - it's not a
>> "wrapper" for Dolphin. (and it has an annoying habit of highlighting
>
> Fair enough;  A misunderstanding on my part, and use of poor terminology.
>
>> is possible (even Trinity's version is not identical).
>
> Probably not;  A lot of water's passed under the bridge since that time.
>
>> What is truly lacking is a good, FUD free, guide to tweaking and
>> configuring KDE4, and the main apps. I find the default theme ugly (and
>
> Indeed.  It took me quite a while (read; months) to figure out that the
> KDE3 style kicker could be had, as you mentioned.  Getting some of the
> info seems to be like pulling hens teeth.

The Debian packaging is a whole lot better than that in it's derivatives
(and some of the other distros). But documentation, even on kde.org,
leaves a lot to be desired. I find the debian-kde list invaluable.

The whole development is less integrated than KDE3. There are other
factors that are not productive to go into here.

>> On the plus side - I've found it's possible to make KDE4 lighter and
>> quicker than KDE3, and the netbook-plasma interface is brilliant for
>
> I never noticed a slowdown when the change to KDE4 came.  Mind you, my
> machine was struggling to keep up with KDE3 at that point, so I ended up
> building a new one, and installing Debian with KDE4 on that.
> Consequently, I can't compare the two.
>
> Overall, I'm happy with KDE4.  Once I overcame the culture shock.

Cheers