Re: OT: Desktop icons - Some blubbering :.(

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 20:00:01 +1100
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> Which Debian release are you running?

Testing, so KDE is at 4.6.somethingorother.

> Perhaps we're talking of slightly different things - default (don't
> know what KDE3.5x was, don't have Lenny on hand) is to apply setting
> per directory - that's changeable so that settings are applicable to
> all directories. And don't forget to save those changes to the profile.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but that has no bearing on what I am
experiencing.  In KDE3, those setting weren't transferred across view
modes;  Icon view settings & list (detail as KDE4 calls it) view
settings, at least for "show hidden files" weren't inherited one from
the other.

> > I didn't have to keep (de)selecting show hidden files according to
> > which view mode I was using.
> Try the view properties under Toolbar => Configure => General.

I must have my stupid head on, because I can't find that anywhere.
Exactly what step are you taking here?

> Kpart is the shared component you're referring to - it's not a
> "wrapper" for Dolphin. (and it has an annoying habit of highlighting

Fair enough;  A misunderstanding on my part, and use of poor terminology.

> is possible (even Trinity's version is not identical).

Probably not;  A lot of water's passed under the bridge since that time.

> What is truly lacking is a good, FUD free, guide to tweaking and
> configuring KDE4, and the main apps. I find the default theme ugly (and

Indeed.  It took me quite a while (read; months) to figure out that the
KDE3 style kicker could be had, as you mentioned.  Getting some of the
info seems to be like pulling hens teeth.

> On the plus side - I've found it's possible to make KDE4 lighter and
> quicker than KDE3, and the netbook-plasma interface is brilliant for

I never noticed a slowdown when the change to KDE4 came.  Mind you, my
machine was struggling to keep up with KDE3 at that point, so I ended up
building a new one, and installing Debian with KDE4 on that.
Consequently, I can't compare the two.

Overall, I'm happy with KDE4.  Once I overcame the culture shock.

--
 Regards  _
He signed up for just three years, it seemed a small amount