Re: OT: Desktop icons - Some blubbering :.(

On 08/10/11 18:59, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:26:22 +1100 Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
>> Toolbar => View => Show hidden files.
>
> Which applies whatever view mode I have Konq set in, be it list or
> icon mode.

Which Debian release are you running?

In Squeeze that just enables the viewing of hidden files in whatever
profile is being used. (Those settings come from kpart so not too hard
to modify if you don't mind a little rebuilding. Stick it on a wish list
and you might get lucky).

> In KDE3 The settings for list view & and icon view were somehow,
> separate.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean there.
Perhaps we're talking of slightly different things - default (don't know
what KDE3.5x was, don't have Lenny on hand) is to apply setting per
directory - that's changeable so that settings are applicable to all
directories. And don't forget to save those changes to the profile.

> I didn't have to keep (de)selecting show hidden files according to
> which view mode I was using.

Try the view properties under Toolbar => Configure => General.

> I do now in both Dolphin & Konq.

They both share a core component (kpart) - I suspect that's why.

>> Konqueror still does everything it did in Lenny. I have several
>> clients
>
> No it doesn't.  The file manager in Konq is now merely a wrapper for
>  Dolphin.

Kpart is the shared component you're referring to - it's not a "wrapper"
for Dolphin. (and it has an annoying habit of highlighting files in
split modes without me selecting them).

I'm not saying Konqueror is identical (the KDE4 framework does change
how Konqueror does things.)- only that the same functionality
is possible (even Trinity's version is not identical).

Fortunately Lenny is still available - for some purposes I still use it.
I doubt all support for it will end any time soon (hopefully). The
beauty of Debian - we get a lot of choices.

> It's not a show stopper, but it would be nice to have the old
> behaviour back.

Hopefully more functionality will be added - there's certainly no reason
why that's not possible.

I followed the developer discussions at the start of KDE4 - and wound up
siding with those that argued for the new framework. Konqueror was one
of the example of KDE3 reaching it's limitations - it's just run out of
ways to add more functionality and configurability.

As you've probably discovered - KDE4 has a lot of non-obvious
configurability and lends itself better to modularization (for
developement).

Generally when people complain about Dolphin they:-
; fail to realize that Konqueror is still there
; are put off by the default configuration of Dolphin - it's ugly and
not very useful (for me) out-of-the-box
; just don't seem to like change - but want the latest...

Just my 20c. I also like dbus, and I know many disagree with me on that.

What is truly lacking is a good, FUD free, guide to tweaking and
configuring KDE4, and the main apps. I find the default theme ugly (and
the designer is the guy behind the brilliant Nuvola icons) - and I
especially dislike the "new style menu". Fortunately it's only a couple
of clicks to get the old style Kicker back - but that info isn't easily
available. Still - it's all hardly a "ribbon-interface". :-)

Just don't get me started on why some "bleeding edge" distros (with poor
user support) pushed KDE4 into production before it's intended time.... :-/

On the plus side - I've found it's possible to make KDE4 lighter and
quicker than KDE3, and the netbook-plasma interface is brilliant for
touch screen and handheld devices.

Cheers