Re: Logitech K360 keyboard NumLock behavior gets turned on by Shift keys!

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:20:46 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> On 09/16/2011 10:46 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Mmm, I've found this:
>>
>> http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#keyboard
>>
>> Which seems pointing to "xfce4-xkb-plugin" package, do you already have
>> this one installed? At a first glance the plugin looks very similar to
>> "gnome-keyboard-properties", maybe you can edit the keyboard layout
>> options from here :-?
>
> Yes. I should have mentioned that I had read the xfce.org faq. This
> plugin was already present on my system as a standard part of the
> "goodies" meta-package. AFAICT it only exposes the same functionality as
> the keyboard properties applet in Xfce settings. This looks very much
> like the gnome-keyboard-settings applet, but it's just missing the
> "miscellaneous compatibility settings" feature. That's where gnome
> provides the ability to make the NumLock / Shift key behave the way they
> do on Windows systems.

Ouch! :-)

> Heh. I've been doing so much editing the past couple of days I'll
> probably have adapted to the keyboard working this way before I find out
> how to change the behavior!
>
> ;-)
>
> But it's all worth it anyway, if I can do a little learning.
>
> One thing that's been getting me into a bit of trouble is that I've done
> some editing on remote Windows systems, and I've been falling back into
> the habit of using the numeric keypad a la Windows behavior. Then when I
> switch back to editing on the local machine I'm all thumbs again.
>
> You've been more than helpful. I just have to do my homework to figure
> this out -- now that I know that I'm not seeing aberrant behavior from
> either Debian testing OR from the keyboard hardware. Between xev and
> xmodmap a little time and experimentation may provide me what I need.
> The xfce faq does warn that there have been quite a few issues using
> xmodmap. I guess I'll find out!

Hum... I've been reading the file that is present in GNOME ("/etc/X11/xkb/
base.xml") and I think the variable you need to set in "/etc/default/
keyboard" could be "XKBOPTIONS=numpad:microsoft" (applying this this may
require a reboot) that way this will become a system-wide setting
regardless the DE :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón