Re: Logitech K360 keyboard NumLock behavior gets turned on by Shift keys!

On 09/16/2011 10:46 AM, Camaleón wrote:
Mmm, I've found this:

http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#keyboard

Which seems pointing to "xfce4-xkb-plugin" package, do you already have
this one installed? At a first glance the plugin looks very similar to
"gnome-keyboard-properties", maybe you can edit the keyboard layout
options from here :-?

Yes. I should have mentioned that I had read the xfce.org faq. This plugin was already present on my system as a standard part of the "goodies" meta-package. AFAICT it only exposes the same functionality as the keyboard properties applet in Xfce settings. This looks very much like the gnome-keyboard-settings applet, but it's just missing the "miscellaneous compatibility settings" feature. That's where gnome provides the ability to make the NumLock / Shift key behave the way they do on Windows systems.

Heh. I've been doing so much editing the past couple of days I'll probably have adapted to the keyboard working this way before I find out how to change the behavior!

;-)

But it's all worth it anyway, if I can do a little learning.

One thing that's been getting me into a bit of trouble is that I've done some editing on remote Windows systems, and I've been falling back into the habit of using the numeric keypad a la Windows behavior. Then when I switch back to editing on the local machine I'm all thumbs again.

You've been more than helpful. I just have to do my homework to figure this out -- now that I know that I'm not seeing aberrant behavior from either Debian testing OR from the keyboard hardware. Between xev and xmodmap a little time and experimentation may provide me what I need. The xfce faq does warn that there have been quite a few issues using xmodmap. I guess I'll find out!

Many thanks again.

Best regards,
Gilbert