Re: Logitech K360 keyboard NumLock behavior gets turned on by Shift keys!

On 09/16/2011 07:35 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:35:35 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

(sorry to be so succinct on my last post but I had to go out and had no
the time to reply to you appropriately) :-)

I greatly appreciate any time you have for me.

Maybe you can make some comparison of the key you get using "xev", that
is, run xev, put num. lock off and press shift (read the screen) then
press end and see if what you get difference when you do the same but
with num. lock enabled :-?

I can work with that later. In the meantime I've learned by looking at a
system running the Gnome DE that there is a setting in
gnome-keyboard-properties that lets me switch this function so that the
keyboard functions the way I want it to work -- with NumLock in the off
condition the Shift key doesn't override and turn on the numbers. In
other words, I want the numeric keypad to behave with the shift key
depressed exactly as it behaves with the Ctrl key depressed. No numbers,
just cursor movement.

I am, however, using Xfce as my DE, and I'm not at all interested in
using Gnome. I imagine that, if I work hard enough at it, I'll find a
way to change the behavior to suit me in Xfce.

Hum... okay, so you finally discovered that the behaviour you got was the
usual one (nothing wrong here) and besides you also found the way to get
the behaviour _you want_ (shift not overriding num. lock) when using
GNOME by means of gnome-keyboard-properties but you like more XFCE and
want to be there, right? :-)

Well, for this I can give you two hints:

1/ Install just "gnome-keyboard-properties" (which is part of the gnome-
control-center package) in XFCE. Duuno if this will pull many unwanted
dependencies, if yes, stop.

Yes, I had already considered that, but I'm not finding a way in aptitude to limit this installation in any meaningful way. Looks like a LOT of dependencies. I wouldn't really worry about the number or size of the dependencies, per se, but I'm concerned that I might be adversely affecting my DE.

2/ GNOME stores the values set from the "gnome-keyboard-properties"
applet under "/etc/X11/xkb/base.xml", maybe you can use this file also in
XFCE to mimic the desired key-combo behaviour :-?

Greetings,

On my Xfce systems that file doesn't exist. I can do some research and experimentation to see if something along this line may work. I'm also looking at the Xfce keyboard properties files to see if I might be able to accomplish what I want by editing them. The problem is that I'm not having any luck finding documentation on those files -- particularly with respect to implementing new features.

I'm also doing research on XMODMAP to see if I can do something with it.

Many thanks, Camaleón, for your great ideas.

Best regards,
Gilbert