Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:10 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

Ok, perhaps you don't have the tools to measure the load, so I won't ask
you to do it, but ...

Have you ever compared temperature and battery life when switching
between ondemand and performance?

How much is the difference on your machine?

For the machines I know there's quasi no difference for he temperature
and the measured watt, those machines don't use batteries, but watt
gives information about battery duration.

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:15 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:02:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Why not using ondemand set by the kernel's default governor?
>
> Because then you will force users to recompile the kernel

Why recompiling the kernel? Why not setting the default governor to
ondemand. I bet it's already set to ondemand.

For me it is

spinymouse@debian:/boot$ cat config-2.6.39.1 | grep
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set

I bet for you it is already set to ondemand.

If so, why adding the script?