Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:35:02 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 13:35 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 12:23:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> (not sure if this post was targeted to this mailing list...)
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > anyway, this is idiocy, hence the default can be set by the kernel.
>> > For the kernel-generic-default-office-non-real-time a distro could
>> > chose 'ondemand'. This script is nonsense and only cause that once a
>> > month somebody send a request regarding to xruns when using jackd.
>>
>> What's the problem here? What kind of annoyance are you having with
>> that script? I find it very convenient, it allows you to:
>>
>> 1/ Completely remove/disable it from starting in an easy manner 2/
>> Tweaking the cpu scaling without much headache
>>
>> What more do you need? :-)
>>
>> Greetings,
>

> - This can be done without this script. What is the kernel config for?

And you prefer that people have to recompile the kernel to tweak that
setting? :-?

> - Inexperienced people get 'mysterious' xruns using jackd.

I don't undertsand this. Can you expand this a bit for neophytes? :-)

> - Inexperienced people willing to 'read the [fine] manual' anyway don't
>   know what they need to read, especially when thy think jackd is buggy.

But not all users are using jackd and there has to be a default setting
that best fits to as many users as possible :-)

In this regard, I know in other distributions (e.g., openSUSE) there are
different kernels with different settings preset that affect to sound
applications (like PulseAudio) aimed to desktop (-desktop) and servers (-
default) but here we only have one main kernel, so do you think the
default settings should make happy to just 20% of the users?

I prefer a default setting to be "user-wise" and then have the
possibility to easily change that default configuration at my wish.

> - I run audio sessions by shell scripts, hence I can set the governor to
>   performance, while it's ok when it's set to ondemand for non-audio
>   usage.

But you can easily tweak that value or even disable it, right?

> - Why not making a Debian that OOTB fit to most needs, even for people
>   who don't wish to read [fine] manuals and to learn how to program.

Having a value for cpufreq different than "ondemand" will nto make any
favour to the vast majority of computers. The exception cannot be the
norm :-)

> - When I get a knife, I know how to use it, but I don't know how to make
>   a knife and I don't want to learn how to make a knife, it should be
>   already edged. I won't RTFM about knives.

There are many advantadges in knowing how a knife is made or what type of
knifes there are. If you are not interested on it, well, that's fine, but
then you should go to a megastore to buy it one (no one in there will ask
you specific question about how are you going to use the knife) instead
of a specialized cutlery shop (where you will be asked many question in
order to get the right item for you).

I hope you've understood that in the above metaphor Windows is the
"megastore" and Linux is the "cutlery shop" ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón