Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 13:28 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > - Inexperienced people get 'mysterious' xruns using jackd.
>
> I don't undertsand this. Can you expand this a bit for neophytes? :-)

If you install jackd and try to make music without a real-time capable
kernel or with CPU ferquency scaling set to performance you'll get
audible glitches.

>  here we only have one main kernel, so do you think the
> default settings should make happy to just 20% of the users?
>
> I prefer a default setting to be "user-wise" and then have the
> possibility to easily change that default configuration at my wish.

You can add such a script if wanted yourself and the kernels default
could be set to 'ondemand', hence no script is needed. At the moment
people need to use a kernel-rt for audio productions, hences this kernel
could be set to 'performance'.

> > - I run audio sessions by shell scripts, hence I can set the governor to
> >   performance, while it's ok when it's set to ondemand for non-audio
> >   usage.
>
> But you can easily tweak that value or even disable it, right?

Yes, but not everybody knows about CPU frequency scaling and those
issues, so you'll read about mysterious audible glitches for the audio
signal all the time on audio mailing lists.

> > - Why not making a Debian that OOTB fit to most needs, even for people
> >   who don't wish to read [fine] manuals and to learn how to program.
>
> Having a value for cpufreq different than "ondemand" will nto make any
> favour to the vast majority of computers. The exception cannot be the
> norm :-)

'ondemand' is nearly useless, you won't reduce the load very much, it's
around 1 W, nothing regarding to the CPU's load of 40, 50, 60 W and
higher.

> I hope you've understood that in the above metaphor Windows is the
> "megastore" and Linux is the "cutlery shop" ;-)

So Linux is not for intuitive users, for nerds only ;)?

OT: Btw. 2.6.39.1 don't need a rt-patch anymore. I installed the
outdated proprietary nvidia driver, since there's no package for the
installer, for the current one, but I guess there's the current
proprietary driver for the 'regular' Debian kernel provided by a
package. I might be mistaken. If not I wonder why Debian make things
harder than there's the need to do. So I'll stay at the outdated one or
need to do anything manually, which is time consuming, because I already
had to build ALSA myself, rt capable kernels etc.. Debian seems to be
one of those multimedia unfriendly distros, while we are living in a
multimedia world. All kinds of flashy trash seems to be available, such
as 3D desktops etc..

Regards,

Ralf