Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 13:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> But that's a known issue, right? Or at least is not different from other
> problems that any user which requires a specific/fine grained setup or
> tweaks may experience.

Yes and yes.

> But then you are enforcing a cpu frequency policy that can cause problems
> to the majority of the users... are you suggesting that?

What kind of problems?

> > Yes, but not everybody knows about CPU frequency scaling and those
> > issues, so you'll read about mysterious audible glitches for the audio
> > signal all the time on audio mailing lists.
>
> Err, if that's the only annoyance, have you ever considered to write a
> page in the Debian wiki and pointing users to there? :-)

No, perhaps a good idea, anyway, I suspect that users won't read
billions of manuals, Wikies etc..

> It's not about "load" but "frequency speed" and my micro reduces its
> cycles from 2.8 Ghz. (normal run) to 2.0 Ghz (idle+ondemad) which I
> prefer. Why wasting cpu cycles and increasing the heat of the whole
> system if I don't really need all that power all the time?

There's no big difference for the load and the load will cause the heat.
I'm using the GNOME applet anyway. Before users run into issues
'performance' as default for everybody would be the better choice.

Is there any CPU where CPU frequency scaling really makes a difference
for load?

> Well, not at all. The moral of the story was that most of the linux users
> like to know what are they doing, they like digging into their system's
> guts and enjoy learning while windows users are more accostumed to things
> work "magically" :-)

And there are billions of users who tried to switch from Windows to
Linux just regarding to ethical reasons or better software regarding to
their needs and they all need to use Windows, because the Linux
community don't care about people who only wish to use a tool like
Linux.

Regards,

Ralf