Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On 06/14/2011 09:59 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:10 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

Ok, perhaps you don't have the tools to measure the load, so I won't ask
you to do it, but ...

Have you ever compared temperature and battery life when switching
between ondemand and performance?

How much is the difference on your machine?

There's a big difference in terms of heat. Running my laptop on performance shoots the temperature up to 80c and higher whereas ondemand keeps it 45-80 (80 when ondemand decides it needs to go full throttle). Keeping in on performance heats up the laptop to a point where its uncomfortable to rest the palms on it. I most certainly do not want to see the kernel selecting performance as the default choice. Havent tested with battery but I suspect, the battery will run out faster when its on performance as opposed to ondemand if not for anything else, to power the cooling fans.