Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 18:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:10 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Ok, perhaps you don't have the tools to measure the load, so I won't ask
> you to do it, but ...
>
> Have you ever compared temperature and battery life when switching
> between ondemand and performance?
>
> How much is the difference on your machine?
>
> For the machines I know there's quasi no difference for he temperature
> and the measured watt, those machines don't use batteries, but watt
> gives information about battery duration.
>
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:15 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:02:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > > Why not using ondemand set by the kernel's default governor?
> >
> > Because then you will force users to recompile the kernel
>
> Why recompiling the kernel? Why not setting the default governor to
> ondemand. I bet it's already set to ondemand.
>
> For me it is
>
> spinymouse@debian:/boot$ cat config-2.6.39.1 | grep
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
>
> I bet for you it is already set to ondemand.
>
> If so, why adding the script?

OT:
Strange, my kernel should be set to performance, I need to check if
anything else isn't set correctly :(.

I used the config of the kernel-rt I used before + make oldconfig, so
that it was command out for my script isn't important:

 cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
 #echo "CONFIG_STAGING=n" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=n" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=n" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=n" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_FTRACE=n" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y" >> .config
 #echo "CONFIG_HZ_1000=y" >> .config

Strange!

*lol*

Anyway, other users already have kernel-rt were the GOV is set to
performance.

So regarding to the used kernel the GOV could be set and then, without
any script everybody would be satisfied.