Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 23 Mar 2011 at 13:36:30 -0700, Mark wrote:
>
>> Thanks Tom.  Have you or anyone else been able to change the text displayed
>> on the GRUB2 boot menu _without_ editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file?
>> Maybe the label/text is stored somewhere and I missed it, just curious.
>
> I think you would be looking at the 10_linux file in /etc/grub.d at the
> very least. After 'linux_entry ()' there are 'title=' lines.
>
> An alternative might be to make 10_linux (and possibly 30_os-prober)
> non-executable and use 40_custom. Not tested. There may be unwanted
> downsides to doing this.

The downside's that you then you'd have to edit 40_custom and run
update-grub in order to add any newly installed kernel to grub.cfg.

So when it's all said and done, it sounds like the safest bet is to edit the file that says in all caps DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.

LOL