Re: Installing Debian from NFS

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> wrote:
#include <hallo.h>
Yes, it's a tiny HTTP proxy with some sugar, getting extra knowledge
from package databases or predefined configuration and making more
optimal decissions than ordinary HTTP proxies.

If you decide to use it, you could reuse the data you already
downloaded. There are instructions for integration into the acng cache
in /usr/share/doc/apt-cacher-ng/html/howtos.html . And if you want to
save some disk space and your NFS storage is permanently mounted, then
you could even put symlinks into the import directory (cp -asf
/download/... /var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/import/).

And if you still want to have a local snapshot of the whole Debian
archive in order to avoid future internet connections, there is a new
feature in recent versions called "Guided precaching". That function
actually examines some Packages.bz2/Sources.bz2 files (or whatever you
specify as long as the file is parseable by acng) and downloads
everything listed therein. Usually the resulting tree in the cache
directory is defacto a partial mirror, containing files which apt might
need for a certain architecture.

Regards,
Eduard.

Freeman & Eduard,

Wow! thanks soooo much for that! You guys are awesome for taking the time to explain it all so wonderfully. That helps clear up like almost everything. So it i exactly that, a smart proxy that actually know what to go out to get from the web if it's not already in the cache...but once it's downloaded it stays there so it's not a FULL repository, but ONLY a repository of the packages you have tried to download once so that way I can save on space and time as I found out that the local mirror I was building failed as I ran out of space :( So this is my only option if I want to have a local mirror

The only problem I have now is how do I install that on Solaris as my jumpstart/kickstart/nfs/central server is a Solaris 8 machine :( It appears that the acng package might only be available for Debian). Will have a look to see if I can compile this from source and have it run on Solaris. It doesn't seem to be doing anything that should restrict it to be only run on Debian based OSes I'm guessing

Cheers,