Re: Installing Debian from NFS

Thanks all for your comments and advice. After having done a bunch of research and everywhere it says that debian was NOT built to be booted off of an NFS server and it's supposed to use HTTP. After fighting it a little bit, I decied to quickly install a light-weight HTTP server (nginx). Now, I figured everything will go smooth, but here we are:
For some reason, when I go through the install and during the screen of picking a mirror, I choose "configure Manually" and enter the name:port of the HTTP as well the location. I also see the installation process pick up the Release file from the HTTP server successfully:

10.1.3.11 - - [03/Feb/2011:11:10:53 +0000] "GET /debian/dists/lenny/Release HTTP/1.1" 200 912 "-" "Wget" "-"

But for some reason, it still comes back saying that it's a "Bad Archive Mirror" and that it may not have a"Valid Release" file.

Does anyone know how to fix this or know what's wrong?

Thanks so much
\R

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:12:05PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:39:59PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > In <[🔎] AANLkTim15i1a7pCkKoitxjsDqjyJAKS4ctFZKU6ctw9G@mail.gmail.com">[🔎] AANLkTim15i1a7pCkKoitxjsDqjyJAKS4ctFZKU6ctw9G@mail.gmail.com>, RR wrote:
> > >this may be a very obvious one of those things that I should just  "Google"
> > >but given my last experience, and unsuccessful Googling, I figured maybe I
> > >should ask the community as to what the CORRECT way to install Debian on a
> > >Sun machine such that it uses the ISO/Distribution on my local NFS server as
> > >opposed to just picking up the boot.img and then have the rest of it be
> > >downloaded from the Internet. I have a LOT of SUN machines to install and
> > >it'd be cool if I can just install them off the distro on the nfs server.
> >
> > Rather than using NFS, it would be easier to use HTTP to serve your debian
> > mirror, prehaps using approx or a similar apt proxy.  During the install you
> > should be asked which Debian mirror to use.  Input the proper hostname and
> > base url and all packages pulled in by APT will be via that mirror.
> >
> I use apt-cacher-ng and I'm pretty happy with it.  It was easy to set
> up.  When I do a net install on a machine on my LAN, I just tell the
> installer that my proxy is:
>
> http://myproxy:3142
>
> If you already have debs downloaded, there is even a procedure
> documented to import those into your apt-cacher-ng.

+1

As somebody who doesn't necessarily know what I am doing, I can testify to
this.

I use apt-cacher-ng to provide an easy way to store previous versions of
testing packages in case I need to back out of an upgrade (which I have done
more than once.)

I found setup and maintenance quite simple and it works flawlessly.  Not so
coincidentally, my two other machines can then upgrade more quickly from the
network.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody