Re: Installing Debian from NFS

In <[🔎] AANLkTim15i1a7pCkKoitxjsDqjyJAKS4ctFZKU6ctw9G@mail.gmail.com>, RR wrote:
>this may be a very obvious one of those things that I should just  "Google"
>but given my last experience, and unsuccessful Googling, I figured maybe I
>should ask the community as to what the CORRECT way to install Debian on a
>Sun machine such that it uses the ISO/Distribution on my local NFS server as
>opposed to just picking up the boot.img and then have the rest of it be
>downloaded from the Internet. I have a LOT of SUN machines to install and
>it'd be cool if I can just install them off the distro on the nfs server.

Rather than using NFS, it would be easier to use HTTP to serve your debian
mirror, prehaps using approx or a similar apt proxy.  During the install you
should be asked which Debian mirror to use.  Input the proper hostname and
base url and all packages pulled in by APT will be via that mirror.

>The way my boot server is setup is, that it has tftp, /etc/ethers and
>/etc/hosts files all setup. I have the boot.img from Debian Lenny for sparc
>in /tftpboot and also have the hex and decimal/AF_INET format of the
>intended IP Address soft-linked to this boot.img in the /tftpboot directory
>i.e. 0A01030B -> boot.img. I also have the entire debian-DVD-lenny.iso
>available and is mounted on /mnt/iso by way of lofiadm so that /mnt/iso has
>the contents of the ISO and not the bundled iso image.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the normal ISOs are suitable for net
booting.  I've no experience with the boot process on Suns though; I have
minimal PARISC experience and them the rest is PC BIOS booting.  ISTR there
was a special Debian "netboot" image (not "netinst") that was to be used.

>Now, how do I tell the installer to go pick it up from there? I have done a
>bit of research and all I see everywhere is mentions of some file called
>root.tar.gz and debian-installer and what not...but I can't figure out where
>do I get that from.

Perhaps hes Squeeze release notes for your architecture might contain more
information about how to boot Debian on your hardware and/or links to further
documentation.

HTH