Re: Installing Debian from NFS

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 05:12:05PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:39:59PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > In <AANLkTim15i1a7pCkKoitxjsDqjyJAKS4ctFZKU6ctw9G@mail.gmail.com>, RR wrote:
> > >this may be a very obvious one of those things that I should just  "Google"
> > >but given my last experience, and unsuccessful Googling, I figured maybe I
> > >should ask the community as to what the CORRECT way to install Debian on a
> > >Sun machine such that it uses the ISO/Distribution on my local NFS server as
> > >opposed to just picking up the boot.img and then have the rest of it be
> > >downloaded from the Internet. I have a LOT of SUN machines to install and
> > >it'd be cool if I can just install them off the distro on the nfs server.
> >
> > Rather than using NFS, it would be easier to use HTTP to serve your debian
> > mirror, prehaps using approx or a similar apt proxy.  During the install you
> > should be asked which Debian mirror to use.  Input the proper hostname and
> > base url and all packages pulled in by APT will be via that mirror.
> >
> I use apt-cacher-ng and I'm pretty happy with it.  It was easy to set
> up.  When I do a net install on a machine on my LAN, I just tell the
> installer that my proxy is:
> http://myproxy:3142
> If you already have debs downloaded, there is even a procedure
> documented to import those into your apt-cacher-ng.

As somebody who doesn't necessarily know what I am doing, I can testify to

I use apt-cacher-ng to provide an easy way to store previous versions of
testing packages in case I need to back out of an upgrade (which I have done
more than once.)

I found setup and maintenance quite simple and it works flawlessly.  Not so
coincidentally, my two other machines can then upgrade more quickly from the

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody