Re: which DVD to download?

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 00:34:22 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 02 Feb 2011 at 22:36:37 +0000, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Wed 02 Feb 2011 at 19:44:01 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> > Why LiveCD for installing? Any advantage over the standard install
>> > first CD image?
>>
>> Without knowing what is on the first CD

Here is the list of the packages:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/list-cd/debian-testing-i386-CD-1.list.gz

>> my answer is bound to be incomplete (any pointers to its contents?),

In what way "incomplete"? I don't think so :-)

***
Which of the numerous images should I download? Do I need all of them?
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#which-cd
***

>> but there are Live CDs specific to installing Gnome, KDE, XFCE and
>> LXDE. In the context of the original question, if you require your
>> basic install to have a desktop environment a Debian Live CD  seems
>> more desirable in terms of time, effort and bandwidth.

Squeeze LiveCD adds additional problem: it does not fit inside a CD but a
DVD or USB media as is ~1 GiB of size, at least the GNOME/KDE flavour.

> And if I had looked closer at the directory listing I'd have seen CD-1
> is in KDE and XFCE+LXDE flavours!

All of them should be also available in the first DVD ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón