Re: Movemail not getting emails

Paul Cartwright put forth on 11/8/2010 2:59 PM:

> the reason I GOT a static IP was just for a mail server.. That's why I
> got the dyndns domain, to play with it, get it working, THEN move my
> real domain.. never got that far because of the lack of 2 DNS servers..
> so what you are saying is, I could do it with a DNS hosting service like
> TZO. So I would trade my domain hosting fee for a DNS hosting fee, and
> have all my emails come DIRECTLY to my local server ( do not pass
> go:)..

Correct.  I've been doing it for over 5 years now.  As long as your IP
reputation is clean, you shouldn't have any issues sending outbound mail
from your Postfix box.  Let's see:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a208.65.91.107

Clean as a whistle.  You won't get blocked due to dnsbls ("RBLs").

> on TZO all I see is services with a dynamic IP, or maybe I am
> missing it.. I do have a static IP, I DO I do I do :)

What happens if/when a customer's router (and thus dyndns daemon) blows
chunks, or the PC they have running the auto update client does the
same?  Or what to do about customers who don't have an auto updatig
mechanism?   There's needs to be a mechanism to allow manually updating
the IP address via their control panel.  And, tada:

http://www.hardwarefreak.com/tzo.jpg

Simple as that.  Thus, the service, although geared toward dynamic IP
use, also works perfectly well for static IP use.  You set it once, and
forget it.

Interestingly, I had to renew my 12 month service just last month.  I
went looking around for cheaper DNS hosting.  I thought I'd be able to
find "DNS only" hosting for a similar or cheaper rate.  I couldn't find
any.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I couldn't find it.  The
closest thing I found was VPS for $9.95 a month which included DNS
hosting, but I didn't want or need a VPS.  So, for that reason, and that
fact that when I move I may end up with a dynamic IP, I stuck with TZO.
 I'm a smoker, at a pack a day.  I spend, currently, $3.76 per day on
smokes.  TZO DNS hosting is $5 per _month_.  Makes it really easy to
justify when put in these terms. :)

Paul, if you do this, and create an MX record to get the mail flowing to
your Postfix server, you need to make damn sure you've got Postfix setup
correctly to receive inbound mail for pcartwright.com.  *AND* you need
to login to your current domain registrar and change your dns servers
over to TZO.  Every domain registered has DNS servers assigned to that
domain.  For instance:

   Registrar: DOTSTER
   Domain Name: HARDWAREFREAK.COM
   Domain servers in listed order:
      NS.TZO.COM
      NS2.TZO.COM
      NS4.TZO.COM
      NS3.TZO.COM
      NS5.TZO.COM

   Domain Name: PCARTWRIGHT.COM
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
   Name Server: NS1.PIPEDNS.COM
   Name Server: NS2.PIPEDNS.COM
   Name Server: NS3.PIPEDNS.COM

Info on transferring name servers:
http://www.tzo.com/MainPageDomains/TransferringDomains.html

Set your Postfix hostname to match the FQDN of the Linux host, and enter
that FQDN hostname into the TZO control panel "Manage MX & SPF records".
 The hostname should be something like mail.pcartwright.com.  You will
also need to change in /etc/postfix/main.cf

myhostname = mail.pcartwright.com
myorigin = pcartwright.com
mydestination = pcartwright.com

I've not spoon fed you everything.  There's quite a bit to setup in the
TZO control panel, such as your domain name, etc.  You'll figure it out.

Ping me on or off list if you need help.  As always, *read before doing*. :)

--
Stan