Re: Movemail not getting emails

Paul Cartwright put forth on 11/8/2010 10:10 AM:

> it is all in a /etc/fetchmailrc script, works fine, using fetchall, none
> left on my domain host servers, all pulled into my Debian box. If I ever
> have to ( probably..) switch domain hosts again, it will be the easiest
> way to already have my email locally stored.
> I have a yahoo account that I use for some throw-away sign-up-crap..
> that has nothing to do with this. I don't get or want email from my
> dyndns domain, my local machine name, paulandcilla.homelinux.org, I just
> use it to host a small web site with family pictures, photos, etc.. not
> even sure if you can get to it outside my router, I think so..
> but now I have the IMAP setup that I wanted, so life is good.
> thanks,

If all the mail you care to bring into that box is to addressed to
addresses at your pcartwright.com domain, then why don't you simply
change the MX pointer for your domain to the static IP of your Linux
box, and configure Postfix to accept mail for pcartwright.com?

I.e. why bother with having your mail spooled at some provider, and why
bother paying them for it, when you can do it all yourself?  Is the
website hosted on your Linux desktop?  If so, just pay a yearly fee for
DNS and have all DNS records point to the static IP of your Linux box
(the public IP on the outside of your broadband NAT router that is).

I pay TZO $60/year for dynamic or static DNS hosting, and Dotster
$15/year for my domain.  So for $75/year I get my domain and I get MX
resolution to my Postfix server, and wildcard A record resolution for
everything else.  All email comes straight to my Postfix server, no need
for middlemen and associated costs.

You've mentioned in previous posts that you've got plenty of UPS due to
the weather and tall trees there in Georgia.  If you trust the stability
of your Linux box, and you're not monkeying with it regularly and
possibly breaking Postfix/Dovecot, you should go the route I've have,
not necessarily with the same providers.

What I'm saying is, you've got all the infrastructure in place to host
everything yourself (sans the DNS servers), so as the Nike commercial
says:  "Just do it."

--
Stan