Re: Movemail not getting emails

On 11/08/2010 12:36 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> If all the mail you care to bring into that box is to addressed to
> addresses at your pcartwright.com domain, then why don't you simply
> change the MX pointer for your domain to the static IP of your Linux
> box, and configure Postfix to accept mail for pcartwright.com?
I WANTED to do that originally.. that was "MY PLAN" :)

> I.e. why bother with having your mail spooled at some provider, and why
> bother paying them for it, when you can do it all yourself?  Is the
> website hosted on your Linux desktop?  If so, just pay a yearly fee for
> DNS and have all DNS records point to the static IP of your Linux box
> (the public IP on the outside of your broadband NAT router that is).
>
> I pay TZO $60/year for dynamic or static DNS hosting, and Dotster
> $15/year for my domain.  So for $75/year I get my domain and I get MX
> resolution to my Postfix server, and wildcard A record resolution for
> everything else.  All email comes straight to my Postfix server, no need
> for middlemen and associated costs.
I already have a static IP from my ISP, Atlantic Nexus. I CAN do email
from them, but there are problems with people & ISPs that will not
accept email from static IPs with no "Domain host" behind them.. what am
I missing..

> You've mentioned in previous posts that you've got plenty of UPS due to
> the weather and tall trees there in Georgia.  If you trust the stability
> of your Linux box, and you're not monkeying with it regularly and
> possibly breaking Postfix/Dovecot, you should go the route I've have,
> not necessarily with the same providers.
my box stays up all the time.. 24X7X365, except for an ocaissional
reboot for.. kernel upgrades, etc..

> What I'm saying is, you've got all the infrastructure in place to host
> everything yourself (sans the DNS servers), so as the Nike commercial
> says:  "Just do it."
that IS my goal.. getting IMAP working was a good leap in the right
direction.
Last time I dropped my domain provider & tried to host it myself, I
didn't have the "infrastructure" in place.. DNS, MX...
I thought you need two IPs for MX records. or am I confusing things.(again)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800