Re: Movemail not getting emails

Paul Cartwright put forth on 11/8/2010 12:05 PM:

> I already have a static IP from my ISP, Atlantic Nexus. I CAN do email
> from them, but there are problems with people & ISPs that will not
> accept email from static IPs with no "Domain host" behind them.. what am
> I missing..

I think you're misunderstanding the technology and terminology.  Dynamic
or static IP refers to the type of IP address assignment to your
broadband router, whether DSL or cable.  It's the public IP in your
house, for the lack of a more technical description.

Who is your broadband provider?  Is your IP from them static or dynamic?
 Either way you can still host your own mail server.  It's just easier
if it's static.

> that IS my goal.. getting IMAP working was a good leap in the right
> direction.
> Last time I dropped my domain provider & tried to host it myself, I
> didn't have the "infrastructure" in place.. DNS, MX...
> I thought you need two IPs for MX records. or am I confusing things.(again)

If doing DNS yourself, you need two physical machines to host the zones,
a master and a slave, with a public IP address bound to each, each
accessible from the internet.

An MX record is simply a record that says "deliver email for domain.tld
to smtp.domain.tld".  smtp.domain.tld is an A record that points to the
IP address of your router.  You map TCP port 25 on the router to the
private IP address of your Postfix server.  That's pretty much it.

Frankly speaking, trying to setup and operate your own DNS servers would
cost you more in time and treasure than simply paying for DNS service.
As I stated earlier, I pay $5/month for DNS service with TZO (paid
yearly).  The service they sell is dynamic dns service geared toward
residential broadband users, much like dyndns.org.  The big difference
WRT dyndns.org is that you use your own real domain name, which enables
you to run your own MX host, i.e. inbound mail server.

The only thing required is a TZO enabled router, or software running on
a Linux or Windows server.  This is what sends your dynamic IP address
to the DNS servers when your ISP changes it.  It works very well.  I've
been a customer since 2005 and not had a single issue, either when I had
dynamic IP service or static IP service.  Setup is very easy, if you
have basic knowledge of DNS.  If you don't, Google and this list are
your friends. :)

--
Stan