Re: basic ping diff with windows ping

Camaleón on 26/10/10 16:52, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:29:25 +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:22:26 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message:

Now hop 2 is identified. Question is "why" is that pause needed?
..too big load on that hop?

Could slow it too much for our demands. What kinda iron _is_ that
hop, some kinda switch?
Hop 2 is a modem-router (DSL Nokia M1122).
..uhuh, the "In addition to its main task, the M1122 is capable of
acting as a 10 Mbit/s hub in a local area network." part in [1] might
help explain its glacial response.  Smoke test it. ;o) 1:
http://www.blurbwire.com/topics/Nokia_M1122

Yes, but the windows computer is using the same "10 Mbit oldie" hardware as gateway and presents no problems with it :-)

No, I think this has nothing to do with the router. Just look at Adam's traceroute when using "-I" (without "-z"):

Different hardware (I suppose Adam is not using the old Nokia DSL router), same behaviour. Some hops are lost (timed out) unless "-z" is specified when runned on linux hosts (on windows systems is not needed). So what can make the difference? Iptables?

That's right. I'm using a D-Link DSL-300 which is a basic DSL modem with no router. It does offer DHCP and has a firewall which I disabled but that's it (I think - they didn't document the firewall , I had to discover that myself).