Re: basic ping diff with windows ping

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:54:51 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Camaleón on 24/10/10 21:21, wrote:

>> (...)
>>
>> Okay, okay... let's add more magic:
>>
>> traceroute -I -n mktgw1.ibllc.com
>>
>> No name resolve but all the hosts are there (and is very quick) :-)
>
> Haha! You can guess what I'm going to ask next, I expect.

Yep :-)

> This is not in the docs which surprises me.

All these options can be reviewed in "man traceroute".

> I want host name resolution, but if I don't get it, I want the IP
> address. It seems linux-ping can only give me a host name or stars, and
> if I want IP addresses, I can't have host name resolution.
>
> Or am I wrong? Any more magic out there?

I come with additional magic (it's just a matter of playing with
traceroute modifiers):

traceroute -I -z 1 -q 1 mktgw1.ibllc.com

-I: for ICMP requests
-z 1: give extra time to get the host name resolution/IP
-q 1: try with one query instead 3 (which is the default) to speed up
traceroute

Greetings,

--
Camaleón