Re: basic ping diff with windows ping

Camaleón on 25/10/10 07:51, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:54:51 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

Camaleón on 24/10/10 21:21, wrote:

(...)

Okay, okay... let's add more magic:

traceroute -I -n mktgw1.ibllc.com

No name resolve but all the hosts are there (and is very quick) :-)
Haha! You can guess what I'm going to ask next, I expect.

Yep :-)
This is not in the docs which surprises me.

All these options can be reviewed in "man traceroute".
I want host name resolution, but if I don't get it, I want the IP
address. It seems linux-ping can only give me a host name or stars, and
if I want IP addresses, I can't have host name resolution.

Or am I wrong? Any more magic out there?

I come with additional magic (it's just a matter of playing with traceroute modifiers):

traceroute -I -z 1 -q 1 mktgw1.ibllc.com

That is the final incantation that does everything. The sorcerer's apprentice is ready to try his luck on his own.

Seriously slightly quirky, but now it's better than windows again, which is the way it should be.

Thanks
Adam