Re: basic ping diff with windows ping

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:52:13 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message
<[🔎] pan.2010.10.26.15.52.12@gmail.com>:

> >> Hop 2 is a modem-router (DSL Nokia M1122).
> >
> > ..uhuh, the "In addition to its main task, the M1122 is capable of
> > acting as a 10 Mbit/s hub in a local area network." part in [1]
> > might help explain its glacial response.  Smoke test it. ;o) 1:
> > http://www.blurbwire.com/topics/Nokia_M1122
>
> Yes, but the windows computer is using the same "10 Mbit oldie"
> hardware as gateway and presents no problems with it :-)
>
> No, I think this has nothing to do with the router. Just look at
> Adam's traceroute when using "-I" (without "-z"):

..my _guess_ is that the "hub" part matters, in the old days,
hubs worked the same way as coax wire, _all_ signals are|were
seen by all nics on the coax or in all hub ports, with whatever
that meant of packet loss and packet collisions and other such
mayhem.  On top of that, a decade or so back, we had these fun
"unmanaged switch"|"managed hub" etc confusion_s_ going on and
on, which had a lot of people throw away good gear as bad, etc.
Part of the reason I measure my success by smoke volume. ;o)

> Different hardware (I suppose Adam is not using the old Nokia DSL
> router), same behaviour. Some hops are lost (timed out) unless "-z"
> is specified when runned on linux hosts (on windows systems is not
> needed). So what can make the difference? Iptables?
>
> Greetings,

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: