Re: su stopped working (after upgrade to squeeze)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:44:08 +0200, Hanspeter Kunz wrote:

> I have a strange problem on one of my debian squeeze boxes. when I try
> to become root (or any other local user), su fails with
>
> 	su: Authentication failure
>
> and no, the password is correct :)

(...)

> My best guess is, that the problem is with my pam-configuration, but I
> have a lenny box with exactly the same pam-config that runs without
> problems.
>
> So any hints where to start looking are greatly appreciated.

A very (very) wild guess... do you have installed "libpam-ldapd"? It
seems to be available for Squeeze/Sid but not for Lenny so maybe now that
you updated the system it could be a requirement to fulfill for ldap
logins :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón