Re: Iceape/Seamonkey and Iceweasel/Firefox - was Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

 On 18/09/10 12:52, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> What?
>>
>> Rebirth from the ashes - Phoenix had complications so Firefox was chosen
>> to symbolise the victorious rebirth of, um, - the spirit/ghost of
>> Netscape(?).
>> Supposedly the revenge of Netscape on fnord Microsoft. (anecdote)
>>

> The story of the rising from the ashes (the nature of a phoenix), is
> unrelated to a Pyrrhic Victory.
>
> A Pyrrhic Victory is when one side wins a battle but loses the war.

fnord Microsoft drives Netscape out of business to give greater market
share to IE. Netscape releases source code which eventually contributes
to IE losing market share... to which it could be said - that another
such victory (by Microsoft) would bring them undone. I'm paraphrasing
"Another such victory and I am undone." - which is (one of) the quotes
attributed to Pyrrhus.
Disclaimer:- if I'm right it's because I remember the quotes of others
correctly.

> Not trying to be argumentative - just trying to give the correct
> meaning of the term "Pyrrhic Victory".

No offence or argument taken.

> "A little learning is a dangerous thing.
> Drink deep, or drink not, from the Pierian Spring"
> - Alexander Pope; "An Essay On Criticsm" (1709)
>
> (
> More official (?) version:
>
> "A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the
> Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and
> drinking largely sobers us again."
> )

We're going back 30+ years, but, when I was studying (and I don't
remember much Pope) we had to learn the Satyricon (a little earlier than
Pope), and this much I do remember   "This is the armour of genius–,
Drink deep or taste not the Pierian spring, Only then pour out your
heart" (apropos of nothing).
Either way - Macedonia is a hell of a long way from the USA ;-p