Re: Straw poll: What browser do you use?

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 23:45, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

Iceape can be convenient, especially beinfg a suite, so it is easy to click
on a mailto link, and open up the integrated email composer. But, iceape
appears to be devoid of memory management, and it appears to have a viral
use for memory, progressively increasing memory usage if the browser is left
open, and it does not free up the memory that it has been using, when it is
closed in an orderly manner (that is, on the odd occasion that it is
deliberately closed, rather than the all too frequent crashes). Also, iceape
does not have the facility for saving sessions, either deliberately, or,
when the application crashes.

Sure Moz has session saving.  And it's memory management has always been
as good or better than FF. If Iceape doesn't then they are really messing
something up.

If iceape and iceweasel both were able to save sessions, and, to provide a
means of splitting sessions into bookmark folders/sets, for each browser
window open in a session, so that a user can, on opening a new session of
the browser after a crash, and select options of a new, separate session, or
restoring the complete old session (or, similarly, for a previous saved
session that was not saved due to a crash), or, open in a browser window
(the existing browser window or a new browser window), a single browser
window (from a bookmakr set from a previous saveds session), it would be
good.

It's kind of hard to understand what you want to do, but it seems like Mozilla
(and FF?) do pretty much all of that.

You say Moz (?) but, if you refer to Seamonkey, that is diifferent (from what I understand) to iceape, which has, from what I understand, some of the Mozilla stuff that makes Mozilla software what it is, removed.

And, iceape definitely does not have session saving, as far as I am aware.

If you believe that iceape has session saving, please explain how to get it working.

I am using iceape as specified;

"
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.14eol) Gecko/20070505 Iceape/1.0.9 (Debian-1.0.13~pre080614i-0etch1)
"

running on Debian 5.

And, if someone could fix the memory issues, it would be good.

When 2GB of RAM is insufficient to run Linux AND a web browser on top od
Linux, suxh as iceape, then there is something dreadfully wrong with the
memory management of the operating system and/or the web browser software.

With 4GB I am never really memory constrained, and everything works
fine with 100+
tabs open continuously for days. It's hard to remember, but I don't
think I really had
too many problems when it was 1GB and something like 10-30 tabs...

4GB might make a difference, over my 2GB.

However, the memory cache keeps increasing, as does the actual memory usage, and, because it is iceape, when, as previously stated, the application is closed, whether by crashing or in an orderly manner, the memory that it has taken up, is not released, so, after using iceape, the ssytem has to be rebooted after iceape has closed, to free up the memory that had been used by iceape.

I have had to disable javascript, to get iceape as stable as possible, as the "Block pop-ips" does not work, and automatically refereshing web pages make iceape viral within the system, as it increasingly devours memory, like a flesh-eating disease.

That might be a good analogy for iceape - reather than viral, a flesh-eating application.

One thing that might be worth remembering here - you have referred to Moz (?) and FF(?).

If in that, you refer to Seamonkey and Firefox, iceape and iceweasel are different to the Mozilla products.

Similar, but different.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale